Charles Church Hell, Moving house, Persimmon nightmare

Moving not writing

I don’t need an excuse not to write but today I had a good one. My daughter and son-in-law moved into a home of their own after renting for the first few years. They were given the keys to their beautiful, brand new four bedroomed detached house and those words alone should encompass an enjoyable, exciting start to a new chapter in their lives. The truth on moving day, however, was a little more down to earth and disappointing.
The past few weeks had been spent sorting through five years of accumulated hoardings, resulting in numerous trips to the local recycling centre and clothes bank.
Yesterday, they had an appointment to meet the sales team and to have one final walk through the property, checking out final fittings and receiving instruction on appliances etc. The first of many disasters struck as they walked through the front door and could see their shiny new kitchen through the door at the end of the hallway. Their carefully chosen light grey kitchen units were a deep mushroom, bordering on plum, shade. The fitters had installed the wrong kitchen. Investigations told them that head office had ordered the wrong one. As disastrous as it was, the company agreed to change it all as ordered but it would mean they could not move into that room today and unpack anything remotely kitchen-related.
A further telephone call to head office this morning had both of them agreeing to review the kitchen once their flooring was down. Yesterday none of the carpets or flooring had been laid as this is the final stage before keys are handed over.
A further call while we were all in the middle of packing up the departing boxes from their flat, advised them that there was no kitchen floor. All of the carpets had been laid but someone had forgotten to order their choice of floor tiles for the kitchen.
Stress levels were beginning to rise into the red zone and patience was nigh on non-existent.
Despite being ready to move, with two cars and two transit vans packed to the brim with boxes, by midday, they didn’t get the keys until gone four in the afternoon. Many of the boxes had to be stored in the garage and spare bedrooms until the kitchen could be sorted which took some of the shine off their big day.
With numerous issues to sort such as no water in the heating system, a leaking downstairs toilet and doors which needed planing before rooms could be accessed, they didn’t actually get a bed or other furniture moved in until later in the evening with the rest being left until tomorrow.
We still have plenty more to do tomorrow but I am sure that, once teething issues have been dealt with, their home will be a beautiful and happy one.
Maybe I will do some writing the next day…but, wait, updating a blog must keep the writing muscles moving, right?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s